Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
A sweet treat that uses up some of that extra zucchini from the garden. I just coarsely chop the zucchini, but you can shred it if you prefer.
- 1⁄3 cup margarine, softened (or butter)
- 1 cup dark brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 egg
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup zucchini, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup nuts, chopped (I like pecans)
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F.
- Grease and flour a 8x8-inch baking pan.
- In a large bowl, beat margarine and sugar until fluffy.
- Add egg and vanilla; beat well.
- Add dry ingredients and stir, just until moistened.
- Stir in zucchini and nuts.
- Pour into pan and bake 25 minutes.
- Cool in pan.
- Cut into 9 bars.
WOW!!!!! These were so good! It smelled like Fall season in my kitchen today. These we devoured in one night. I think you could also use diced up bananas or apples in place of the zucchini. Next time, I am gonna use 1/4 less brown sugar. I loved them! but maybe if they were a little less sweet, they wouldn't be so addicting. I kept going back to the pan :( I was very surprised how wonderful these were. I would give this 10 stars if I could. Update: I made this again today using only 3/4 of the sugar and added some semi milk chocolate morsels. It is ok but it came out drier. Wish I would of stuck to the original recipe. Don't skip on the sugar!!!! Another update. I made this again but doubled the recipe in a 9X13 pan. I used half brown and white sugar. I didn't have any nuts so I put raisins. Came out very good. Better than the chocolate chips.
Oh my goodness - this is wonderfully moist and bursting with cinnamon flavor! I loved the addition of the nutmeg too (one of my favs). I did have to bake it about 10 minutes longer than called for to get the center set but that is no biggie in my book. I chopped the zucchini using a hand chopper and they were in perfectly sized bits to add to the batter. I opted to use chopped walnuts for the nut addition. Not overly sweet at all which I love as I can not feel too guilty using it as a breakfast treat or after dinner snack. Thanks Mikekey for sharing this recipe in the Photo Tag Game.