Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
A delicious sauce spooned over fresh fruit. Try spooning over fruit topped poundcake as well. I found this recipe on the evaporated milk can.
- 118.29 ml sugar
- 29.58 ml cornstarch
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 340.19 g can evaporated milk
- 7.39 ml vanilla
- 1419.54 ml fresh fruit, cut into bite sized pieces
- ground cinnamon (optional)
- Combine sugar, cornstarch, and cinnamon sticks in a medium saucepan.
- Gradually stir in evaporated milk.
- Cookover medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture comes just to a boil and slightly thickens.
- Remove from heat and remove cinnamon sticks; stir in vanilla.
- Refrigerate for 2 hours until well chilled.
- Arrange fruit in serving dishes.
- Top with sauce and sprinkle with cinnamon if desired.
- Refrigerate leftover sauce up to 4 days.
I would say 3 1/2 stars. I thought there was too much cinnamon flavour (and I usually love cinnamon) but it seemed to be overpowering on the fruit. I would definitely try this again and reduce the spice. Nice texture. Thx for posting.
Reviewing this for ZWT3 (U.S. Regional Cooking) ... I liked the flavor very much; it didn't overwhelm the fresh strawberries, but added a lovely, gentle sweetness. But the texture was a little too cornstarch-y for my tastes. Gotta love the facxt that if you use fat-free evaporated milk, you've got a really friendly recipe!
Delish! By using Splenda and fat free evaporated this makes a most diabetic friendly sauce that would be good on almost everything. Very quick and easy, it was made in a few mins, and when it cools it's the perfect sauce consistency. I love it's ivory color too. Thank you hon for a lovely treat that is oh so legal and versatile.