Prep 45 mins
Cook 30 mins
I got this recipe over 40 yrs ago from a Fleischmann's Yeast Cookbook, The section is called "Rising on Ice" I love it because I do all the work the day or several hours before and just bake it when I want it really fresh & warm from the oven!
- 5 -6 cups bread or 5 -6 cups flour
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons dry yeast
- 1 cup milk
- 2⁄3 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 3⁄4 cup raisins (optional)
- melted butter or margarine
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- cinnamon or sugar, mixture
- In large bowl mix together 1 3/4 cups flour, 1/2 cup sugar, salt & yeast.
- Combine milk, water & 1/4 cup butter in small bowl. Heat til very warm (120 - 130). I do 90 seconds in micorwave. Butter does not need to melt. Gradually add to dry ingredients. Beat at medium 2 minutes, Add the egss & 1/2 cup flour and beat on high 2 minutes. Switch to dough hook or add by hand, enough flour to make a moderately stiff dough. If adding raisins, you may do so now. Knead until smooth & elastic in mixer on by hand on floured board.
- Place in greased bowl, cover & let rise in warm place 20 minutes.
- Divide dough in half. Roll each hald into a 9 x 12 inch rectangle.
- Spread with melted butter.
- Sprinkle with mixture of the remaining 3/4 cup sugar & cinnamon.
- Fold from 9" side- 3" over the center of the sqaure. Then fold the other side over 3" so you will have it folded into thirds (3 layers)it will be 3" x 12".
- Cut into 12 one inch slices. Take each slice and pinch end to seal. Tightly twist your slice and place into a greased 9 " square pan. (2 rows of 6). Repeat with other half.
- Cover with sprayed or lightly oiled wax paper. Then top with plastic wrap.
- Chill for 2 - 24 hours.
- When ready to bake, remove from refrigerator. Uncover. Let stand at room temp for 10 minutes.
- Bake at 375 for about 25 - 30 minutes. Serve drizzled with powdered sugar glaze. May be separated & served individually or cut as a coffee cake. Enjoy!
Made this last night, baked this morning to take to work with me. It turned out really pretty. I put it in the lounge, I got really busy and never got a chance to get any. By the time I got down there it was all gone! I guess it was good. Although the ing listed eggs, the directions never told when to add and while I was reading the directions the eggs never got added. It was good without I guess. Thanks