Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is a moist, nut-free banana bread with a caramelized cinnamon sugar topping that gets rave reviews every time I make it. The cardamom is optional, but adds a really nice, unique flavor.
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon cardamom
- 1 cup mashed banana (about 3)
- 2 tablespoons buttermilk or 2 tablespoons plain yogurt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease and flour 9x5" loaf pan.
- Cream butter with sugar in a large bowl until light and fluffy. Add egg and beat well.
- Sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and cardamom in a medium bowl. Mix banana with yogurt and vanilla in small bowl.
- Gradually dry and banana mixes to butter mix alternately, stirring till smooth.
- Pour batter into pan, then top with sprinkle stuff and bake 45min.-1hr. Remove from pan to wire rack to cool.
This recipe is great! I added some chopped apple to mine. Very moist, and freezes well... If it makes it to the freezer!
My house smells wonderful and the warm bread tastes delicious! 2 bananas = 1 cup and I had to use nutmeg instead of cardamom. The topping almost all came off when I flipped the bread onto the cooling rack, so I would only bother making half of it, at most. But make sure you do use it - it's tasty! Made for my adopted chef for Fall PAC 2009. Thanks Super Wifey! :)