Try any nut you like! Gift giving. Serving depends on how large or small you break the Toffee.I used Hershey's chips. You can use any chips you favor.
- Melt butter in a large saucepan.
- Add sugar, corn syrup, and water.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring now and then, to hard-crack stage (300 F on your candy thermometer)- watch carefully after temperature reaches 280°F.
- Quickly stir in coarsely chopped nuts; spread in well-greased 13x9 inch pan.
- Cool thoroughly.
- Turn out on waxed paper; spread top with the melted chocolate; sprinkle with half the finely chopped nuts.
- Cover with waxed paper; invert; spread with melted cinnamon chips.
- Sprinkle top with remaining nuts.
- (Unless you want to get creative and swirl 1/2 of each(melted chocolate and melted cinnamon) into each other!).
- If necessary, chill to firm.
- Break into pieces.
Fabulous flavor - my first time making candy and it wasn't as bad as I thought! Everyone loved this - I think I want to try it with butterscotch chips next on one side to compliment the chocolate - the cinnamon was a delightful pairing!! Thanks for a terrific recipe, Rita!!
I made this twice as I think I goofed up the first time when I chilled the pan of toffee in the freezer, causing the layers to not want to stay together. The second time, I let the toffee set at room temperature and then the layers stayed put when broken into pieces. Either way, this stuff is delicious and addictive and both pans got eaten up....you just have to hold the layers together on the one that was frozen LOL. Crunchy and yummy, we loved the cinnamon chip layer!! Thanks for posting this Rita, it's a keeper :)