Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
Fancier-than-normal cinnamon toast that may also double as an appetizer. This recipe is from Gourmet Magazine.
- 12 slices thin sliced bread, crusts removed
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
- Roll out the bread between two pieces of waxed paper until very thin.
- Brush both sides of each slice with some of the butter.
- In a bowl, stir together the sugar and the cinnamon.
- Sprinkle 1 teaspoon of the cinnamon sugar on one side of each slice leaving 1/2-inch border on one side, roll the bread tightly jelly-roll fashion towards border.
- Trim the ends on the diagonal, roll in remaining sugar mixture (the rolls may be made up to this point 1 week in advance and kept wrapped tightly and frozen).
- Transfer the rolls, seam side down, to a parchment lined baking sheet and bake at 350°F for 15 minutes, or until they are browned lightly.
Wow. I love cinnamon toast but this is a whole new way to enjoy it! I used regular "sandwich" bread (sara lee white whole wheat bread), butter spray & Splenda for the sugar. I appreciated the detailed directions, but I didn't know what trimming the ends on the diagonal meant, so I skipped that part! I needed toothpicks to hold them together while they baked, but everything else was fine. They smelled wonderful & toasted nicely in the oven. Can't wait to snack on them!
These are a quick and easy little sweet bite. I have made them twice, first as a sweet offering on an appetizer buffet, second as part of a light breakfast buffet. In both instances, after rolling up the bread slices, I cut each into 3 pieces with diagonal ends (leaving a few scraps from the rough ends for my snacking LOL). These little 1" (approx) bites were then rolled in additional sugar before baking seem side down. Both times these were served, there were no leftovers. I appreciate how easy this recipe was to prepare.
I love these. I used to make them when I was younger and needed a sweet fix really fast. I would cook mine in the microwave if I wasnt in the mood to wait too long. I thought I had made it up.....thought I was so cool! :)