Recipe by Mercy
Fancier-than-normal cinnamon toast that may also double as an appetizer. This recipe is from Gourmet Magazine.
Top Review by LUVMY2BOYS
Wow. I love cinnamon toast but this is a whole new way to enjoy it! I used regular "sandwich" bread (sara lee white whole wheat bread), butter spray & Splenda for the sugar. I appreciated the detailed directions, but I didn't know what trimming the ends on the diagonal meant, so I skipped that part! I needed toothpicks to hold them together while they baked, but everything else was fine. They smelled wonderful & toasted nicely in the oven. Can't wait to snack on them!
- 12 slices thin sliced bread, crusts removed
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
Directions See How It's Made
- Roll out the bread between two pieces of waxed paper until very thin.
- Brush both sides of each slice with some of the butter.
- In a bowl, stir together the sugar and the cinnamon.
- Sprinkle 1 teaspoon of the cinnamon sugar on one side of each slice leaving 1/2-inch border on one side, roll the bread tightly jelly-roll fashion towards border.
- Trim the ends on the diagonal, roll in remaining sugar mixture (the rolls may be made up to this point 1 week in advance and kept wrapped tightly and frozen).
- Transfer the rolls, seam side down, to a parchment lined baking sheet and bake at 350°F for 15 minutes, or until they are browned lightly.