Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
If desired 1/2 finely chopped walnuts or pecans may be added into the batter, the recipe may be doubled --- prep time includes 30 minutes chilling time, these cookies may be made up to 2 weeks in advance and stored at room temperature or frozen, please do not omit the egg wash on the cookies!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2-2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened (no substitutes)
- 3⁄4 cup sugar (increase sugar slightly for a sweeter cookie)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract or 2 teaspoons maple extract
- 1 large egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 egg, beaten (used for an egg wash)
- 1⁄4 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
Directions See How It's Made
- Set oven to 325 degrees F.
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl combine flour with cinnamon, baking powder and salt.
- In a large bowl cream the butter with sugar and vanilla until fluffy (about 4 minutes).
- Add in one egg and the egg yolk; beat until combined.
- Add in flour mixture; mix until just combined.
- If you are adding in chopped nut mix in at this point.
- Chill the dough for 30 minutes.
- In the baking sheet roll the dough into a log about 18-20 inches long and 2-inches wide (or you may divide the dough into two pieces and roll into about 9-10 inches).
- Using your hands flatten the log slightly.
- Brush the top and sides of the log/s lightly with beaten egg.
- Bake for about 25-30 minutes or until firm to the touch and light golden brown.
- Cool logs for about 15-20 minutes on the baking sheet.
- In a small bowl mix 1/4 cup sugar with 1 teaspoon cinnamon; set aside to sprinkle on the biscotti.
- Using a serrated knife slice diagonally into about 3/4-inch slices or a little smaller.
- Turn the biscotti cut-side down on the baking sheet spacing a little between each cookie.
- Sprinkle the top of the biscotti with cinnamon/sugar mixture.
- Bake for an additional 20 minutes or until crispy and toasted.