Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
Elegant tea cookies. Also great with milk or coffee. A childhood favorite.
- 1⁄2 cup butter (1 stick) or 1⁄2 cup margarine, softened (1 stick)
- 1⁄2 cup Crisco shortening
- 1 3⁄4 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 4 cups self-rising flour, sifted
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large mixing bowl, with electric mixer at medium speed, beat together butter and shortening until light and fluffy (30 seconds).
- Add sugar and cream together until very light.
- Add vanilla, scraping down sides of bowl as needed.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each egg.
- Gradually fold in flour until a soft, workable dough forms (increase or decrease the amount of flour as necessary).
- Shape into balls and place on cookie sheets.
- Dip the bottom of a flat bottomed glass in sugar and use it to mash down the balls of dough.
- Bake in preheated oven until done (8-9 minutes).
- Immediately remove from pan to cool.
Lovely dainty cookie with a nice cakey texture. I made these for my daughter's christening and was asked for the recipe! Also it makes a lot which is handy.