Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This recipe is from a cook book I recently bought (I think it is originally an English recipe). Very simple to make and goes great with a glass of milk :)
- 2 ounces butter
- 1⁄2 cup caster sugar
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3⁄4 cup self-raising flour
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour (plain)
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 3⁄4 ounce butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon caster sugar, extra
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to moderate 350F (Gas 4/180C). Grease a 20cm (8 inch) round cake tin and line the base with baking paper.
- Beat the butter (2 oz) and sugar (1/2 cup) until light and creamy. Add the egg gradually, beating well after each addition. Beat in the vanilla.
- Fold in the sifted flours alternately with the milk. Stir until smooth.
- Spoon into the tin and smooth the top. Bake for 30 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean when inserted into the center.
- Cool for 5 minutes in the tin, then on a wire rack. Brush top of cake with melted butter while still warm and sprinkle with the sugar and cinnamon mixture.