Recipe by Chef David Marion(alton brown wannabe)
This recipe is as close to foolproof as I have ever made. I have never made an edible cookie, and my wife of 32 years has always had difficulty makeing sugar cookies, so when I found this recipe in Cook,s Illustrated, I was amazed with how well this worked. I made some tweeks to lower the sugar amount and added cinnamon to change the flavor and look. Please enjoy!
Top Review by lordsangel
I love these!! They were simple to make and such a huge hit! I will make this again soon as they are one of my very favorite kinds of cookies. Thank yo so much for posting this recipe =)
- 2 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 2 ounces low-fat cream cheese
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted, still warm
- 1⁄3 cup canola oil
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon skim milk
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
Directions See How It's Made
- Adjust oven rack to middle position, heat oven to 350 degrees. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper. Whisk flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt together in a medium bowl, then set aside.
- Put 1 1/2 cups sugar & room temperature cream cheese in a bowl, pour warm melted butter over the sugar & cream cheese and mix to combine. Whisk in oil, then add egg, milk and vanilla until smooth. Add flour and mix with a rubber spatula until a soft dough forms.
- Take @ 1 tablespoon of the dough and roll into a dough ball(about the size of a ping pong ball) Put the 2 tablespoons sugar and 2 teaspoons cinnamon in shallow pie tin, using your hands gently roll dough in the sugar / cinnamon mixture to coat. Place dough ball on a cookie sheet, and gently flatten the top.
- Bake 1 tray at a time until the edges are set and just beginning to brown, @11-14 minutes. Cool 5 minutes on the baking sheet, then transfer to cooling rack until room temperature. ENJOY!