Recipe by ElizabethKnicely
Cinnamon Swirl Sour Cream, Maple Cream Cheese, Strawberry and Bacon Breakfast Cupcakes Recipe courtesy: Hollis Wilder Show: Cupcake Wars Episode: George and Ann Lopez Charity Golf Tournament Recipe Categories: Meat, Bacon, Fruit, Strawberry, Cheese, more Dish: Cupcake Herbs & Spices: Cinnamon
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 8 ounces salted butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄4 cups sour cream
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, loosely packed
MAPLE CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
- 1 lb cream cheese
- 4 tablespoons maple butter or 4 tablespoons creamed honey
- 4 ounces strawberry jelly
- 1⁄4 cup fresh strawberries, hulled and finely diced
MAPLE-GLAZED TURKEY BACON
- 1 (12 ounce) package turkey bacon
- 1⁄4 cup maple syrup
- 1 cup maple sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 325°F Line a mini cupcake or muffin pan with 24 mini cupcake liners or a regular-size cupcake or muffin pan with 9 cupcake liners.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt into a medium-size bowl. Set the bowl aside.
- In the bowl of an electric stand mixer, with a paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugar together, about 5 minutes. Scrape down the sides of the bowl, and then add the vanilla and one egg at a time, scraping down the sides of the bowl after each addition. Turn the mixer to lowest speed, and add the flour mixture and sour cream, alternating between the 2, beginning and ending with the flour.
- Mix the cinnamon and brown sugar together in a small bowl and fold by hand into the batter. Do not fully mix into the batter,it should be swirled inches.
- Fill 24 mini cupcake liners 1/2-full with batter and bake for 30 minutes or fill 9 regular-size cupcake liners 3/4-full with batter and bake for 32 minutes, or until golden and baked through. Cool the cupcakes completely.
- MAPLE CREAM CHEESE FROSTING:.
- Whip the cream cheese and maple butter in the bowl of the electric mixer fitted with a whisk attachment until fully incorporated. Fold in by hand, the jelly and fresh strawberries. Put the frosting into a pastry bag and cut 1/2-inch off the tip.
- Yield: approximately 2 3/4 cups.
- MAPLE-GLAZED TURKEY BACON:.
- Cook the bacon on the stove top in 2 nonstick skillet coated with olive oil spray, over medium heat, turning once, making sure the bacon is fully cooked. Turn the heat down and divide the maple syrup between the 2 skillets, drizzle the syrup over the bacon. Continue to cook, turning the bacon often, watching closely that the syrup does not burn. You want the bacon to be coated with the syrup and caramelized, but not soggy. Let cool.
- Yield: approximately 2 cups.
- TO ASSEMBLE:.
- Generously frost the top of each cupcake with the MAPLE CREAM CHEESE mixture. Chop the MAPLE-GLAZED TURKEY BACON into a fine dice and divide evenly among the cupcakes, sprinkling over the frosting. Sprinkle the maple sugar on top of the bacon to resemble "sand".