Recipe by SilentCricket
I found this recipe in an Amish cookbook and immediately thought how this might be a perfect side dish for autumn and winter meals and the holidays, year 'round! (Prep time does not include time for jello to set).
Top Review by HeatherFeather
The flavor of this is unique and excllent - the gelatin has a lovely rosy hue from the melted cinnamon candies (I use Redhots) and a fresh, slightly zesty flavor that would go very well with ham or grilled chicken chicken. While I enjoyed the nuts, I think you could easily leave them out. I had trouble getting the cream cheese mixture to swirl properly - mine seized up once it hit the partially chilled gelatin. I think next time, I would instead mix some of the gelatin mixture with the cream cheese mixture, then spread it evenly on top of the partially set gelatin, then chill until firm, rather than attempting swirling the mixture.
- 1 (6 ounce) box lemon Jell-O gelatin
- 1⁄2 cup red cinnamon candies
- 3 cups boiling water
- 2 cups applesauce
- 1 dash salt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup coarsely chopped nuts
- 1 (6 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise or 2 tablespoons salad dressing
Directions See How It's Made
- Dissolve jello and candies in boiling water.
- Stir in applesauce, lemon juice, and salt.
- Chill until partially set.
- Fold in nuts.
- Put into mold or 8x8x2 pan.
- Beat together cream cheese, milk, and mayonnaise.
- Spoon over salad; swirl to marble.
- Chill until firm.