Prep 1 hr 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
This makes rich rolls.
BASIC SWEET DOUGH
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 3 teaspoons dry yeast
- 1⁄3 cup warm water
- 3 eggs, at room temp
- 5 1⁄2-6 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup nuts, chopped (optional)
- 1⁄3 cup evaporated milk
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- MAKE DOUGH:.
- Combine milk, sugar, salt, and butter in small saucepan. heat over low heat until butter melts and sugar dissolves.
- Cool to lukewarm.
- Dissolve yeast in warm water in warmed bowl.
- Add lukewarm milk mixture, eggs, and 5 cups flour.
- With dough hook mix 2 minutes at speed 2.
- Continuing on speed 2, add remaining flour, 1/2 cup at a time, until dough clings to hook and cleans sides of bowl, about 2 minutes.
- Knead on speed 2 for 2 more minutes.
- Place in a greased bowl, turning to grease top.
- Cover; let rise in warm place, free from draft, until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down and shape as desired for rolls or coffee cakes.
- FILLING MIXTURE:.
- Place filling ingredients in bowl. Mix with flat beater at speed 2 for 1 minute.
- Roll dough to a 10 x 30 x 1/4 inch rectangle.
- Spread mixture evenly on dough. Roll dough tightly from long side to form 30-inch roll, pinching seam together. Cut into twenty one 1 1/2-inch slices.
- Place 7 rolls each in 3 greased 8 x 1 1/2-inch cake pans. Cover; let rise in warm place, free from draft, until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.
- Bake at 350 F for about 20 minutes. Remove from pans immediately. Spread caramel glaze over warm rolls.
- CARAMEL GLAZE:.
- Combine milk and brown sugar in small saucepan. Over medium heat, cook, stirring constantly, until mixture begins to boil.
- Place milk mixture, powdered sugar, and vanilla in bowl. Beat with flat beater at speed 4 until creamy, about 2 minutes.
the recipe was ok and the filling was good but i had to cook them 30 minutes and they still could have went longer. the caramel glaze was ok but didn't taste like caramel.Cook longer about 35 minutes and add more brown sugar to the caramel glaze. and if that dosen't work add homemade frosting(powderd sugar and butter) then add some caramel to the caramel glaze
Since I got my Kitchenaid 25 years ago, THIS is the only cinnamon roll recipe I will use. I do forego the caramel glaze and use the "Clone of a Cinnabon" icing recipe instead... the combination is to die for.
This is the BEST recipe for cinnamon rolls! This is a Christmas favorite in our house. The dough csn be a bit hard to roll inti the large rectangle needed but it is well worth the time. The filling is so good,as is the glaze! I got 24 cinnamon rolls out of my last batch. Definte a keeper !