Prep 1 hr 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
This makes rich rolls.
BASIC SWEET DOUGH
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 3 teaspoons dry yeast
- 1⁄3 cup warm water
- 3 eggs, at room temp
- 5 1⁄2-6 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup nuts, chopped (optional)
- 1⁄3 cup evaporated milk
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- MAKE DOUGH:.
- Combine milk, sugar, salt, and butter in small saucepan. heat over low heat until butter melts and sugar dissolves.
- Cool to lukewarm.
- Dissolve yeast in warm water in warmed bowl.
- Add lukewarm milk mixture, eggs, and 5 cups flour.
- With dough hook mix 2 minutes at speed 2.
- Continuing on speed 2, add remaining flour, 1/2 cup at a time, until dough clings to hook and cleans sides of bowl, about 2 minutes.
- Knead on speed 2 for 2 more minutes.
- Place in a greased bowl, turning to grease top.
- Cover; let rise in warm place, free from draft, until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down and shape as desired for rolls or coffee cakes.
- FILLING MIXTURE:.
- Place filling ingredients in bowl. Mix with flat beater at speed 2 for 1 minute.
- Roll dough to a 10 x 30 x 1/4 inch rectangle.
- Spread mixture evenly on dough. Roll dough tightly from long side to form 30-inch roll, pinching seam together. Cut into twenty one 1 1/2-inch slices.
- Place 7 rolls each in 3 greased 8 x 1 1/2-inch cake pans. Cover; let rise in warm place, free from draft, until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.
- Bake at 350 F for about 20 minutes. Remove from pans immediately. Spread caramel glaze over warm rolls.
- CARAMEL GLAZE:.
- Combine milk and brown sugar in small saucepan. Over medium heat, cook, stirring constantly, until mixture begins to boil.
- Place milk mixture, powdered sugar, and vanilla in bowl. Beat with flat beater at speed 4 until creamy, about 2 minutes.
This is the BEST recipe for cinnamon rolls! This is a Christmas favorite in our house. The dough csn be a bit hard to roll inti the large rectangle needed but it is well worth the time. The filling is so good,as is the glaze! I got 24 cinnamon rolls out of my last batch. Definte a keeper !
these are my kids favorites, I sent these to Florida and Iraq this year. I've been making this receipe since the 1980's when I got my first kitchen aid mixer. Every Christmas my children ask for these. They are the best!