Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
My husband's favorite. 9x5x3 inch pan makes a mondo-big loaf. I prefer to make two smaller loaves with the one recipe, but it can be a tad involved. Big or small, this really is a nice bread with a bit of a coffee-cake texture and taste. Crispy top gives it a nice touch.
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 2 cups sifted flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons orange peel
- Cream together shortening and sugar.
- Beat in eggs and vanilla.
- Blend in sour cream and milk.
- Combine dry ingredients and add to creamed mixture.
- Spread 1/2 batter in greased 9x5x3 pan.
- Combine cinnamon mixture (1/4 cup sugar, 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon and 1 1/2 teaspoons orange peel); sprinkle over batter, reserving 1 tablespoon.
- Top with remaining batter. Gently swirl with knife.
- Sprinkle with remaining tablespoon of cinnamon mixture.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.
Perfecto in a bread pan!! I made 4 mini loaves so I could freeze some for breakfast treats later. Great texture with a punch of wonderful flavor with the cinnamon. Truly splendid and will be a bread I'll make again and again.
This made for a very nice bread. It does remind you of coffee cake. I made as directed. After 45 minutes the top was done but not the middle so I made an tent out of foil and put over top and cooked an additional 8 minutes. I left in the pan 10 minutes before removing to rack to cool. I also used organic 2% milk with good results. Made for Spring PAC 2009.