Prep 30 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This is the most delicious cinnamon yeast bread ever. It makes yummy toast and you'll have more than one piece. If you want a Cinnamon Swirl Orange Bread (which is also good) see the note at the end of the recipe.
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package dry yeast
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 2 cups scalded milk
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 eggs (slightly beaten)
- 7 1⁄2-8 cups flour
CINNAMON SWIRL FILLING
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons cinnamon
- soft butter
- In a small bowl soften and proof the yeast in the warm water.
- In a saucepan combine the milk, sugar, butter, and salt; cool to lukewarm.
- Add 3 cups flour and mix well.
- Stir in the yeast and eggs; beat well.
- Add enough of the remaining flour to make a soft dough.
- Turn out on lightly floured surface and knead 100 times.
- Place in lightly grease bowl; cover with cloth or plastic wrap and let rise till double (about 1 1/2 to 2 hours).
- Punch down and divide dough in half; cover and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Roll each half into a 15x7 rectangle, about 1/2" thick.
- Mix the sugar and cinnamon for the filling together.
- Spread each rectangle with soft butter and then sprinkle the filling on each.
- Sprinkle 1 teaspoon of water over each and spread with spatula.
- Roll up as for a jelly roll beginning with narrow side; seal the long edge.
- Place sealed side down in two greased pans.
- Rise till almost double (45-60 minutes).
- Bake in a 375 degree oven for 35-40 minutes or till done.
- If it browns too much, cover with foil the last 15 minutes or so.
- NOTE: If you want an Orange bread substitute the following--1 1/4 cups milk and 3/4 cup orange juice for the 2 cups milk; and add 1 tablespoon grated orange rind.
Fantastic bread worth more than 5 stars. Will make this often. I made the dough for one loaf in my bread machine and then baked in the oven for 35 minutes. Also I changed the filling and used 1/3 cup brown sugar and almost a whole tablespoon of cinnamon for one loaf and I forgot to sprinkle with 1 teaspoon of water. Delicious!
The best bread I have made and eaten, hands down! I gave a few pieces to a few friends, and now have to make all of them a loaf of their own each time I make it. My hat goes off to you and your amazing recipe!
This is the most fabulous bread I have ever made! I added more cinnamon to the filling (I love cinnamon) and I used whole wheat pastry flour and wheat gluten for the flour. I did add 1/2 golden raisins to the dough, just because. So tender, so delicious, dad has requested that I make this often.