- 2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more
- flour, for rolling
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- sanding sugar, and
- candy, such as red cinnamon dots, for decorating
- confectioners' sugar, for decorating (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking poweder, salt and cinnamon.
- In another large bowl, with an electric mixer, beat butter and granulated sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla.
- With mixer on low speed, gradually add flour mixture; beat just until combined.
- Divide dough in half; form into two 3/4 inch thick disks. Wrap each in plastic. Refrigerate at least 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 325°F
- Place one disk between two sheets of lightly floured parchment paper; roll out to an 1/8 inch thickness, lightly dusting dough with flour as needed.
- Cut out shapes with lightly floured cookie cutters; if dough gets soft, chill 10 minutes.
- Transfer cut-out shapes to a parchment-lined baking sheet. Re-roll scraps; cut more shapes. Repeat with remaining disk.
- Bake cookies, decorating if desired, until edges are golden, 10 to 15 minutes, rotating sheets halfway through.
- Cool cookies 1 minute on sheets, then transfer to wire racks to cool completely.
- Cookies can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature up to one week.