Prep 20 mins
Cook 12 mins
Melt in your mouth cinnamon biscuits. Delicious hot from the oven with a cup of coffee. Good for freezing. Flour amount is approximate, make sure not to add too much or they wont be as soft.
For the dough
- 2 1⁄4 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄4 cup shortening or 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 cup buttermilk
For the topping
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a large bowl mix the dry ingredients. With your fingers or two knives, mix in the shortening or butter until it resembles coarse meal. Add the buttermilk, mixing in a little at a time until it forms a sticky dough, Turn the dough out on a lightly floured surface and knead a few times, adding more flour as needed until the dough is smooth and no longer sticky.With a floured rolling pin roll into a 1/2 inch thickness. In a small bowl mix the sugar and cinnamon. Brush the dough with the butter and evenly spread the cinnamon sugar on top. Cut out the biscuits, using a round or square 2 inches cutter. Place on a lightly greased cookie sheet and bake for 12 minutes or until golden and puffed.
Im really sorry since I hate giving these biscuits such a low rating! But unfortunately my ones had way too much baking powder in them so that they tasted only like baking powder and nothing else. I dont know if its maybe the brand Ive used (I live in Germany) since none of the other reviewers seems to have had a problem with this. I will definitely make these again with less baking powder and then revise my rating. Im sure they will be a full 5 stars then for they had such a lovely texture and smelled so nice and cinnamony when coming from the oven. Thanks for sharing with us, Mami Janine! Made and reviewed for Bevy Tag April 09. Update: Ive made these again now using only 2ts baking powder and 1/2 ts baking soda and they turned out perfect! Really tasty! Defintitely a 5 star recipe with these changes.
The family gobbled these up. Tehy were very simple to make. They didn't rise as much as I thought they would, but there was so much commotion in the house when I was making them that I wonder if I goofed the recipe or something. Oh well, they certainly tasted great. We will be making these again. Thanks Mami. Made for bevy tag.
Made these a couple of days ago but apparently forgot to review the recipe! Can't have that, 'cause THESE ARE VERY, VERY NICE BISCUITS! Did cut the salt back to 1/8 teaspoon, but other than that, I used everything indicated! Don't know about the coffee bit, but these were not only great right from the oven, but also at room temperature as a wonderful snack with some honey (even tried a couple with some homemade strawberry sauce ~ Oh, yeah!)! [Tagged, made & reviewed in Beverage Tag]