Courtesy of King Arthur Flour but, I suspect, any unbleached flour can be used. "Looking for everyone's favorite comfort-food coffeecake? This is it. Soft and moist, nicely cinnamon-y, this is the quintessential breakfast coffeecake." This golden cake is tender and moist, with a middle layer of dark cinnamon filling and a crumbly streusel topping.
- 1 1⁄4 cups granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt (if you use unsalted butter)
- 1 1⁄2 cups king arthur unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 cup brown sugar (dark or light, SEE NOTE)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3⁄4 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon salt (1 1/4 teaspoons if you use unsalted butter)
- 1 1⁄2 cups granulated sugar
- 1⁄3 cup brown sugar
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs
- 3⁄4 cup sour cream (or plain yogurt)
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk (anything from skim to whole)
- 3 3⁄4 cups king arthur unbleached all-purpose flour
- Preheat the oven to 350°F Lightly grease a 9" x 13" pan, or two 9" round cake pans.
- Make the filling by mixing together the brown sugar, cinnamon, and cocoa powder. Note that the cocoa powder is used strictly for color, not flavor; leave it out if you like. Set it aside.
- To make the cake: In a large bowl, beat together the butter, salt, sugars, baking powder, and vanilla until well combined and smooth.
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the sour cream or yogurt and milk till well combined. You don't need to whisk out all the lumps.
- Add the flour to the butter mixture alternately with the milk/sour cream mixture, beating gently to combine.
- Pour/spread half the batter (a scant 3 cups) into the prepared pan(s), spreading all the way to the edges. If you're using two 9" round pans, spread 1 1/3 cups batter in each pan.
- Sprinkle the filling evenly atop the batter.
- Spread the remaining batter atop the filling. Use a table knife to gently swirl the filling into the batter, as though you were making a marble cake. Don't combine filling and batter thoroughly; just swirl the filling through the batter.
- Sprinkle the topping over the batter in the pan.
- Bake the cake until it's a dark golden brown around the edges; medium-golden with no light patches showing on top, and a toothpick or cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean, about 55 to 60 minutes for the 9" x 13" pan, 50 to 55 minutes for the 9" round pans. When pressed gently in the middle, the cake should spring back.
- Remove the cake from the oven and allow it to cool for 20 minutes before cutting and serving. Serve cake right from the pan.
- Note: For those of you looking for a cake with less filling, one where the golden cake itself is the main attraction, reduce the amount of brown sugar in the fillng to 1/4 cup, keeping the remaining ingredients the same.
Very good coffeecake. Usually I pass on the sweets, but I had to have TWO slices of this. I was surprised that the steusel topping was very crumbly, like it needed more butter, but when it cooked it had a delicious, almost smoky flavor! I really enjoyed the filling, it made the cake special. Next time I will remember not to smooth the filling to the edges so the cake doesn't come apart in the middle. Thanks for posting.
Fabulous Coffeecake! Tender, moist cake with loads for filling and topping. In the middle of my recipe on an early Sunday morning, I discovered the sour cream I was planning to use was a few weeks out of date. So, I subbed buttermilk which worked beautifully!! I highly recommend this coffeecake! It is delicious!! Thanks, doj!
This was hands down the best coffee cake ever! So delicious and moist. I didn't have sour cream on hand, so used vanilla yogurt instead. OMG it was so delicious, my family wondered what they had done for me to make something so decadent for them! One hint I'd pass on to others, like Ice Cool Kitty says, don't spread the filling to the edges, it made a dark crust that stuck to the pan. Other than that, a perfect coffee cake!