Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
This quick breakfast cake, with buttery cinnamon streusel sinking into the top, has been a holiday and vacation favorite in our family for years. Check out my Banana Chocolate Chip Streusel Cake for a delicious variation. Recipe makes a 9" square pan, and may be doubled for a 9" X 13" pan.
- 118.29 ml packed dark brown sugar
- 29.58 ml flour
- 9.85 ml cinnamon
- 29.58 ml butter, melted
- 118.29 ml chopped nuts (optional)
- 177.44 ml sugar
- 59.14 ml butter
- 1 egg
- 177.44 ml milk
- 118.29 ml all purpose flour
- 236.59 ml whole wheat flour
- 9.85 ml baking powder
- 1.23 ml salt
- Grease and flour 9" square baking pan. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Combine streusel ingredients thoroughly in a small bowl, set aside.
- Cream together sugar and butter in a large mixing bowl.
- Beat in egg.
- Stir in milk.
- Sift together dry ingredients, add to mixing bowl. Stir until just combined.
- Spread batter in pan, and sprinkle streusel over top. As you are sprinkling, squeeze some streusel together into pebble-sized chunks, and drop them over cake batter.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 25 to 35 minutes, until batter is golden brown and center springs back when touched lightly.
- Cool on a rack about 15 minutes before serving.
I could not wait to post my review. I just made this. I used a 9inch square pan. Moist and delicious. The amount for the crumb topping gave it the right sweetness. 5 star give it a try it will not disappoint. Question on nutrition count: states serves 4 but a 9 inch you can get 9 servings which definitely lowers the calorie count. But I am not sure how it is calculated. Thank you for a great receipe.
Loved it!!! I made this, scaled back to 1/2 of the recipe, for breakfast this morning. I read the other review and don't think I would have liked it with double of streusel, this was very sweet without doubling it. I did use chopped pecans and it added a nice flavor addition to the cake. I used King Arthur Whole Wheat Flour and you wouldn't even know that it had anything other then AP flour, so good. I adopted you for "Pick A Chef" (PAC) event and look forward to trying 2 other of your recipes.
This was good! I doubled the streusal as that's the whole point of coffee cake for me, and I would do it again next time, so yummy. My 1 year old INHALED 2 full pieces of this! Mine tested done at about 33 minutes. Made for PAC Spring '11.