Recipe by cathyfood
This quick breakfast cake, with buttery cinnamon streusel sinking into the top, has been a holiday and vacation favorite in our family for years. Check out my Banana Chocolate Chip Streusel Cake for a delicious variation. Recipe makes a 9" square pan, and may be doubled for a 9" X 13" pan.
Top Review by Patty C.
I could not wait to post my review. I just made this. I used a 9inch square pan. Moist and delicious. The amount for the crumb topping gave it the right sweetness. 5 star give it a try it will not disappoint. Question on nutrition count: states serves 4 but a 9 inch you can get 9 servings which definitely lowers the calorie count. But I am not sure how it is calculated. Thank you for a great receipe.
- 1⁄2 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1⁄2 cup chopped nuts (optional)
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 egg
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Grease and flour 9" square baking pan. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Combine streusel ingredients thoroughly in a small bowl, set aside.
- Cream together sugar and butter in a large mixing bowl.
- Beat in egg.
- Stir in milk.
- Sift together dry ingredients, add to mixing bowl. Stir until just combined.
- Spread batter in pan, and sprinkle streusel over top. As you are sprinkling, squeeze some streusel together into pebble-sized chunks, and drop them over cake batter.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 25 to 35 minutes, until batter is golden brown and center springs back when touched lightly.
- Cool on a rack about 15 minutes before serving.