This quick breakfast cake, with buttery cinnamon streusel sinking into the top, has been a holiday and vacation favorite in our family for years. Check out my Banana Chocolate Chip Streusel Cake for a delicious variation. Recipe makes a 9" square pan, and may be doubled for a 9" X 13" pan.
- Grease and flour 9" square baking pan. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Combine streusel ingredients thoroughly in a small bowl, set aside.
- Cream together sugar and butter in a large mixing bowl.
- Beat in egg.
- Stir in milk.
- Sift together dry ingredients, add to mixing bowl. Stir until just combined.
- Spread batter in pan, and sprinkle streusel over top. As you are sprinkling, squeeze some streusel together into pebble-sized chunks, and drop them over cake batter.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 25 to 35 minutes, until batter is golden brown and center springs back when touched lightly.
- Cool on a rack about 15 minutes before serving.