Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
Williams-Sonoma Essentials of Baking book recipe. This cake came out very delicious and taste great with a cup of coffee. Just a couple of words of wisdom to newbie bakers: Always sift your dry ingredients (this helps make your cake lighter instead of denser). Make sure your eggs and butter are at room temp (otherwise your cake would not be as smooth). Follow instructions/measurements PRECISELY! Grease and flour your pan very well (this will help very much when it comes time to removing the cake from the pan). Have all your ingredients on hand and read the recipe before beginning (take it from me, you don't want to end up skipping a step or missing an ingredient because you rushed thru it). Do not open the oven while it is baking. Invest in buying a pastry blender. Always let the cake cool in the pan the indicated time or your cake will fall apart to pieces if you remove it to soon from the pan. This recipe requires atleast 3 medium-large mixing bowls. The following ingredients include one recipe for streusel and one recipe for the cake batter.
- 29.58 ml unsalted butter, at room temp. (for streusel filling)
- 44.37 ml all-purpose flour (plain, for streusel filling)
- 78.07 ml firmly packed golden brown sugar (for streusel filling)
- 177.44 ml chopped pecans (for streusel filling) or 177.44 ml walnuts (for streusel filling)
- 7.39 ml ground cinnamon (for streusel filling)
- 591.47 ml all-purpose flour (plain, for batter)
- 9.85 ml baking powder
- 2.46 ml baking soda
- 1.23 ml salt
- 177.44 ml unsalted butter, at room temp (for batter)
- 295.73 ml granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 4.92 ml vanilla extract
- 354.88 ml sour cream
- Preheat oven to 350°F Generously butter and flour a 10 inches tube pan or bundt pan. Position oven rack in the middle.
- FOR STREUSEL FILLING: in small bowl, combine butter, flour, nuts, brown sugar and cinnamon. With a pastry blender or fork, mix until crumbly and set streusel aside.
- FOR BATTER: in dry bowl, stir together the SIFTED flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In another large bowl, with mixers, beat together butter and sugar on medium low speed for 4-5 minutes or until creamy. Beat eggs in one at a time and stir in vanilla. Add the dry ingredients SLOWLY in 3 batches alternately with the sour cream and mix on low speed just until the batter is blended and almost smooth.
- Pour HALF the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the surface with a rubber spatula. Sprinke evenly with HALF of the strusel filling. Cover with the remaining batter and sprinkle with the remaining streusel.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 40-45 mins.Transfer to wire rack and let cool in pan for 10 minute Carefully loosen the edges with a butter knife and gently shake cake from side to side to loosen the bottom a bit then turn out of the pan and into a plate or cake plate and let cool completly. You can add decorative glaze on cake if you would like while the cake is still warm.