Recipe by Andrew Mollmann
Went to a Gluten-Free baking class and this was one of the featured breads. Was quite delicious although I haven't made it myself yet. The outer layer was nice and crisp without being burnt and it had just the right amount of cinnamon and sugar. The recipe calls for Bette Hagman's Bean Flour Mix. *This recipe is 2 parts garfava bean flour, 1 part sorghum flour, 3 parts cornstarch, and 3 parts tapioca flour. **Soured milk can be substituted for buttermilk by adding normal milk to 1 tbsp of vinegar to total 3/4 cup.
Top Review by zori
Wow, I'd like to bake this bread, but I live in Italy and I can't find the flour that you use. I use dr Schar's bread flour mixture. Is it ok if I substitute it? I'm also lactose intollerant so I'll use my home made soy buttermilk.
- 2 cups gluten-free flour
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
Streusel and Topping
- 1⁄3 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk (or soured milk**)
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Directions See How It's Made
- Grease and flour two small loaf pans (8" x 4").
- Mix dry ingredients thoroughly in large bowl.
- Measure wet ingredients and have ready. You may require less than the above amount of milk, so keep it separate.
- Prepare topping by first blending the brown sugar and cinnamon. Once well mixed, reserve 1 tbsp of this mixture and set aside for use as topping. Add 1 tbsp butter to remaining mixture and blend until crumbly.
- Using an electric mixer, add liquid ingredients to the dry ingredients. You may require less milk, so add slowly. The consistency of the batter should be slightly thicker than cake batter and sticky.
- Use the mixer at medium and high speed until smooth, about 3 minutes.
- Split half to two-thirds of the mixture evenly between the 2 loaf pans.
- Sprinkle the streusel mixture into each loaf pan. Swirl gently into batter.
- Pour remaining batter into loaf pans, on top of the streusel swirl.
- Sprinkle reserved cinnamon/brown sugar mixture on top of each loaf.
- Bake bread at 350F for 40-45 minutes. Do not undercook. Check doneness with toothpick or cooking thermometer. Internal temperature should read 210-212F when done.
- Remove bread from oven and place on wire rack. Allow to cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan.