Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
A simple, easy and delicious German and Swiss Christmas cookie from Oetker Baking is Fun. The weight measurements are how the original recipe was written. If you have a kitchen scale, I find it to be the quickest and most accurate way of measuring ingredient. NOTE: 1 package of Oetker vanilla sugar is equivalent to 1 to 2 tsp vanilla extract.
- Preheat oven to 300°F.
- Grease a cookie sheet.
- Beat egg whites until they form soft peaks.
- Gradually add the sugar and vanilla sugar, beating until they form stiff peaks.
- Set aside 50 ml (1/4 cup) of the egg white mixture.
- Fold cinnamon and almonds into remaining mixture.
- Work all ingredients together quickly to make a smooth dough.
- Roll out the dough on a surface that has been dusted with icing sugar to a thickness of 6 mm (1/4 inch).
- Cut out stars with a cookie cutter, rinsing it frequently with hot water.
- Brush the reserved egg white mixture on the stars.
- Place stars on the prepared cookie sheet.
- Bake on the middle rack for 20 minutes.
- Store in an airtight container.
These little ditties are super tasty. I did however find that the dough was way to soft to roll out, so instead I used a mini ice cream scopper and made cinammon balls. I think I didn't beat the eggs long enough..but I was hungry and impatient :) Can't wait to make them again! Thanks for sharing. Made for ZWT6 Seasoned Sailor and his Sassy Sirens.
With all the baking I've been doing, I had to cut this recipe back to just 1/3 its original size! However, closer to Yuletide I intend to make the whole thing, 'cause THESE LITTLE GOODIES HAVE A WONDERFUL TASTE! Thanks for sharing the recipe! [Tagged, made & reviewed in Potluck Tag Game]