Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Simple, yummy bar cookies filled with cinnamon-goodness! The heavenly scent they create while baking is a tantalizing prelude to their delicious taste!
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg, separated
- 2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups nuts, chopped (I use almonds)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Grease and flour a 15 1/2 x 10 1/2 x 1-inch pan.
- Cream the butter, margarine, and sugar.
- Add the egg yolk and dry ingredients.
- Press the batter into prepared pan.
- Beat the egg white until foamy and spread sparingly over batter.
- Press on the nuts.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Cut into squares.
I could hardly wait for these to finish baking. The aroma filled the house. I also used almonds and added the 2 chopped apples as you suggested. So moist and tasty. Ahhhhhhh. :-)
I agree with Merlot - I counldn't wait to try these and I was definitely not disappointed. I used 1 cup of finely ground almonds too. I would reduce the amount of cinammon slightly next time. The apple idea sounds great - I'll try that too
Very thin, light and crisp cookies! Very easy to prepare with excellent results! I used all butter, as I did not have any margarine on hand. I also used crushed almonds which was a delicious flavor combination with the cinnamon. I definitely will keep this recipe on hand to prepare again! Thanks, s'kat, for a delightful recipe!