Recipe by Lorraine of AZ
This is a Martha Stewart recipe. Martha describes them this way: "Delicate yet buttery rich, these spritzes are lavished with an immoderate amount of vanilla and a generous sprinkling of cinnamon sugar." These sound so good...I can't wait to try them! A cookie press is necessary for these cookies.
- 3 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 vanilla beans, halved lengthwise
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups unsalted butter, room temperature (3 sticks or 3/4 lb.)
- 2 large egg yolks
- cinnamon sugar (made with 2 tsp. ground cinnamon mixed with 4 tsp. granulated sugar)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Have ready ungreased baking sheets.
- Whisk together the flour, salt and cinnamon. Using the tip of a paring knife, scrape vanilla seeds into a large bowl, and discard pods. Add sugar and beat with a mixer on medium speed for 3 minute. Ad butter and beat until pale and fluffy. Beat in egg yolks. Add flour mixture, and beat until just combined.
- Attach a wreath disk to a cookie press. Divide dough into 3 portions. Fill press with dough. Press cookies onto baking sheets, spacing them 2 inches apart. Bake until barely golden 9-12 minutes. Immediately sprinkle cookies with cinnamon sugar. Let cool slightly, then transfer to wire racks to cool completely. Repeat with remaining dough. Cookies can be stored or up to 1 week.