Recipe by hannahactually
This recipe comes from Cooking Light. The store-bought boxed variety of dates that are prechopped and lightly coated with sugar were suggested for use in this recipe. Cook time includes one-hour refrigeration time. (NUTRITION PER SERVING CALORIES 96(30% from fat); FAT 3.2g (sat 0.6g,mono 0.9g,poly 1.5g); PROTEIN 1.1g; CHOLESTEROL 0.0mg; CALCIUM 11mg; SODIUM 64mg; FIBER 0.9g; IRON 0.4mg; CARBOHYDRATE 16.5g)
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 3⁄4 cup chopped pitted dates
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar, divided
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup applesauce
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- cooking spray
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Lightly spoon flours into dry measuring cups, and level with a knife.
- Combine flours and next 6 ingredients (flours through cinnamon) in a large bowl; make a well in the center of mixture.
- Combine 1 cup sugar, oil, applesauce, water, and vanilla in a bowl; add to flour mixture, stirring just until moist.
- Cover and chill 1 hour or until firm.
- Shape dough into 36 balls, and roll the balls in 1/4 cup sugar.
- Place the balls 2 inches apart on baking sheets coated with cooking spray.
- Bake at 350° for 15 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Cool 1 minute on pans.
- Remove from pans, and cool on a wire rack.