Prep 10 mins
Cook 43 mins
My son loves this treat for snacking after school, and it's easy enough for him to make if he wants to. It makes a great addition to a brunch menu, and when we make it for snacks it's gone within an hour!
- 19 1⁄8 ounces cinnamon Duncan Hines cinnamon swirl muffin mix
- 1 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄4 cup chopped pecans (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly spray a 9x5-inch loaf pan with a spray vegetable oil such as Pam, then dust with flour. Shake out excess flour.
- Set aside the packet of cinnamon swirl and the packet of topping from the muffin mix. Place muffin mix, sour cream, egg and 3 tablespoons water in a large mixing bowl. Beat with electric mixer on low speed for 30 seconds. Stop and scrape down sides of bowl. Increase mixing speed to medium and beat 1 more minute. Scrape again, if needed. The batter should be well-combined and thick. Pour 1/2 - 2/3 of batter into prepared loaf pan.
- Knead packet of cinnamon swirl with your fingers several times, then open it and squeeze contents evenly over the batter. With a rubber spatula, spread remaining batter over the batter in the pan. Place pecans, if using, in a small bowl and stir in the topping mix. Sprinkle the topping over the loaf.
- Bake for 43-47 minutes until it springs back when lightly pressed with a finger. Remove and put loaf pan on a wire rack to cool for 15 minutes. Dust with confectioners' sugar. Then run a long, sharp knife around the edge of the loaf pan. Remove loaf from pan or serve right from the pan. Can be served warm or at room temperature.
I have had a box of DH Cin Swirl Muffin mix in my pantry for a while and wanted to use it up and I found this recipe. I am SO GLAD I did!! This loaf was super delicious! While I was mixing it I thought, 'man, this stuff is THICK! I'm not sure I'm liking it.' But I scraped the thick batter off the beaters and kept mixing. Then I baked it, let it cool and dusted it with sugar. Then my family and my parents each took a slice for our Christmas morning breakfast. YUMMY!! It tastes great and is moist. I followed the recipe exactly but only put pecans on half of it because my kids don't like pecans (we adults loved them tho'!). The batter is super thick but the end result is fabulous!! I will be buying more muffin mix and it won't sit in my pantry as long this time!!