I have been making these cookies for years. I don't remember where I got the recipe from originally but it's a Christmas cookie tray staple in our house. It's my son's favorite and he has been known to eat the whole batch at one sitting!
- Heat oven to 300º.
- Beat butter until creamy.
- Sift together 3/4 cup confectioner's sugar, flour, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Gradually add to butter. Blend well.
- Stir in oats. Blend in vanilla and nuts.
- Mix well about 5 minutes.
- Shape to form small balls.
- Place on ungreased cookie sheets. Bake 25 minutes. Remove from sheets.
- While hot sprinkle with 1/2 remaining sugar. Cool and sprinkle again.