Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
Clipped this out of a magazine and only changed it a little. I cannot remember the magazine. These are like ginger snaps with cinnamon instead of ginger.
- 3⁄4 cup shortening (Crisco, white)
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 cup molasses
- 2 1⁄4 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- cinnamon sugar, for rolling
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cream shortening and sugar.
- Add eggs and molasses and mix.
- Separately mix together the flour, soda, cinnamon and salt.
- Add dry mix to wet gradually and mix in.
- Roll in 3/4" to 1" balls (your choice. Smaller balls yield 5 1/2 dozen. Large yield 4 1/2 dozen) using your hands.
- Roll in cinnamon sugar (I use 1 part cinnamon to 4 parts sugar).
- Bake 10-12 minutes until set and cracked.
- Cool on sheet for just a few seconds, until the cookies are transportable.
- Remove to wire rack to cool.
I have made these cookies several times now and everyone gobbles them up. I've made them both with shortening and with margarine. While they are best made with shortening, they are also very good with margarine.
Oh sooo good. Made these yesterday and there are very few left this morning! I really liked that these are so nice and mild -- probably why it's easy to eat so many! I used a cookie scoop instead of rolling, so I got 48 cookies. I also just sprinkled sugar over the balls before baking. Will definitely be making these again and again.
Yum yum yummy! I made these this morning and am having a hard time not eating them all myself!