Prep 30 mins
Cook 4 hrs
This is my grandmother's recipe. This salad is present at every holiday meal or special occasion. It is a great treat any time of the year.
- Bring water to a boil in saucepan.
- Add red hots to water and stir until candies are dissolved.
- Remove water from heat.
- Add both packages of jello and stir until completely dissolved.
- Add strained applesauce and mix well.
- transfer mixture to bowl, 9 x 13 baking dish, or jello mold.
- Refrigerate until jello is well set (4 hours).
Made this as part of PAC. Was a little worried about the Cinnamon Strawberry combination, but it turned great. I used chunky applesauce and it gave the salad a nice texture. Great tasteing and will make again. Edited 9/27/06: Originally gave 4 stars. Made again with regular applesauce. Much improved flavor over the chunky applesauce version. 5 stars