Prep 2 hrs 30 mins
Cook 7 mins
This is actually two recipes in one -- the Cardamom bread dough recipe, then the cinnamon roll recipe. This simple, cardamom-spiced yeasted dough serves as the basis for many Scandinavian coffee breads, rolls, and buns. It’s spice rather than vast amounts of sticky sugar that lend distinction to these light and tasty cinnamon rolls. No napkins required. Found on about.com and posted for ZWT 6 - SCANDANAVIA!
- 2 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups melted butter, plus 1/3 cup melted butter for filling
- 1 cup sugar, for dough plus 2/3 cup sugar for filling
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground cardamom (from about 25 cardamom pods)
- 4 1⁄2 teaspoons dry active yeast (2 packages)
- 8 -9 cups all-purpose flour or 8 -9 cups bread flour
- 2 tablespoons cinnamon
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten together into an egg wash
- 2 tablespoons water, lightly beaten together into an egg wash
- 1⁄3 cup granulated sugar (estimated) or 1⁄3 cup pearl sugar, for topping (estimated)
- 1⁄3 chopped almonds (estimated) or 1⁄3 slivered almonds, for topping (estimated)
- Prepare your Basic Cardamom Bread Dough using the first 7 ingredients listed above (this takes about 1 1/2 hours).
- BASIC CARDAMOM BREAD DOUGH DIRECTIONS:.
- Heat milk to a light boil, turning off heat when it reaches the scalding point (with small bubbles across the top). Stir in melted butter, sugar, salt, and ground cardamom.
- Let mixture COOL until “finger-warm” (still warm, but cool enough to touch). Stir in yeast and let sit for 10 minutes. VERY IMPORTANT: The milk should be LUKEWARM (or fingerwarm) and the yeast will double itself nicely! If the milk mixture is too hot, it will kill the yeast properties!
- Add flour into mixture 1/2 cup at a time until dough is firm and pulls away from the side of your mixing bowl (Tip: If using a stand mixer, exchange the mixing paddle for the dough hook after you’ve added the first 5 cups of flour. Use the dough hook to mix and knead the dough as you add the remaining 3-4 cups of flour).
- Cover the dough in the mixing bowl with a clean towel and let rise until doubled, about an hour.
- Punch down the dough, then remove from bowl.
- Knead lightly on floured counter until smooth and shiny. Divide dough into two halves.
- CINNAMON ROLL DIRECTIONS:
- Roll each half of dough into a 12” by 18” rectangle. Brush each rectangle well with melted butter. Combine 2/3 cup sugar and 2 tablespoons cinnamon; sprinkle evenly over the 2 rectangles. Roll each rectangle crosswise, like a jelly roll, to form an 18”-long cylinder.
- Using a sharp or serrated knife, cut each cylinder into 20 equal slices.
- Place each slice into a paper cupcake wrapper and place on baking sheet. Cover with towel and allow to double in size, about 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 425º.
- Brush risen cinnamon rolls with egg wash and sprinkle with pearl sugar and / or almonds. Place in the middle of a preheated oven and bake for 7 minutes, or until done.
- Yield: 40 cinnamon rolls.