2 hrs 37 mins
2 hrs 30 mins
This is actually two recipes in one -- the Cardamom bread dough recipe, then the cinnamon roll recipe. This simple, cardamom-spiced yeasted dough serves as the basis for many Scandinavian coffee breads, rolls, and buns. It’s spice rather than vast amounts of sticky sugar that lend distinction to these light and tasty cinnamon rolls. No napkins required. Found on about.com and posted for ZWT 6 - SCANDANAVIA!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 1 1/2 cups melted butter, plus 1/3 cup melted butter for filling
- 1 cup sugar, for dough plus 2/3 cup sugar for filling
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground cardamom (from about 25 cardamom pods)
- 4 1/2 teaspoons dry active yeast (2 packages)
- 8 -9 cups all-purpose flour or 8 -9 cups bread flour
- 2 tablespoons cinnamon
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten together into an egg wash
- 2 tablespoons water, lightly beaten together into an egg wash
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar (estimated) or 1/3 cup pearl sugar, for topping (estimated)
- 1/3 chopped almonds (estimated) or 1/3 slivered almonds, for topping (estimated)
- 1Prepare your Basic Cardamom Bread Dough using the first 7 ingredients listed above (this takes about 1 1/2 hours).
- 2BASIC CARDAMOM BREAD DOUGH DIRECTIONS:.
- 3Heat milk to a light boil, turning off heat when it reaches the scalding point (with small bubbles across the top). Stir in melted butter, sugar, salt, and ground cardamom.
- 4Let mixture COOL until “finger-warm” (still warm, but cool enough to touch). Stir in yeast and let sit for 10 minutes. VERY IMPORTANT: The milk should be LUKEWARM (or fingerwarm) and the yeast will double itself nicely! If the milk mixture is too hot, it will kill the yeast properties!
- 5Add flour into mixture 1/2 cup at a time until dough is firm and pulls away from the side of your mixing bowl (Tip: If using a stand mixer, exchange the mixing paddle for the dough hook after you’ve added the first 5 cups of flour. Use the dough hook to mix and knead the dough as you add the remaining 3-4 cups of flour).
- 6Cover the dough in the mixing bowl with a clean towel and let rise until doubled, about an hour.
- 7Punch down the dough, then remove from bowl.
- 8Knead lightly on floured counter until smooth and shiny. Divide dough into two halves.
- 9CINNAMON ROLL DIRECTIONS:
- 10Roll each half of dough into a 12” by 18” rectangle. Brush each rectangle well with melted butter. Combine 2/3 cup sugar and 2 tablespoons cinnamon; sprinkle evenly over the 2 rectangles. Roll each rectangle crosswise, like a jelly roll, to form an 18”-long cylinder.
- 11Using a sharp or serrated knife, cut each cylinder into 20 equal slices.
- 12Place each slice into a paper cupcake wrapper and place on baking sheet. Cover with towel and allow to double in size, about 45 minutes.
- 13Preheat oven to 425º.
- 14Brush risen cinnamon rolls with egg wash and sprinkle with pearl sugar and / or almonds. Place in the middle of a preheated oven and bake for 7 minutes, or until done.
- 15Yield: 40 cinnamon rolls.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cinnamon Rolls (Kanelbullar) from Cardamom Bread Dough Recipe
Serving Size: 1 (58 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 40
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 190.6
- Calories from Fat 69
- Total Fat 7.7 g
- Saturated Fat 4.7 g
- Cholesterol 20.4 mg
- Sodium 116.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 26.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 6.7 g
- Protein 3.4 g