Prep 1 hr 30 mins
Cook 7 mins
This is one of my dad's favorite desserts. After my grandmother passed away my dad showed me how to make these. I have now added them to my cookbook and will pass these onto my kids.
- 4 teaspoons yeast
- 2 cups milk
- 3⁄4 cup butter or 3⁄4 cup margarine
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cardamom (optional)
- 4 -5 cups flour
- Melt margarine or butter.
- Add milk and heat 115 F (45 C).
- Dissolve yeast.
- Add sugar, cardamom (optional) and salt.
- Stir until mixed.
- Add flour, knead into dough.
- Let rise until doubled (about 30 min).
- Divide dough.
- Use rolling pin to roll out large rectangle, about 1/4 inches thick.
- Spread with margarine, cinnamon and sugar.
- Roll up into a big roll, about 2 inches in diameter.
- Cut 3/4 in thick slices, put onto greased cookie sheet.
- Rise about 20-30 minute
- Baste with whipped egg;
- Add a little bit of sugar on top, or you can use some Swedish pearl sugar (available at most IKEAs or Swedish specialty stores).
- Bake 450 F (225 C) about 7-10 min, until golden brown.
- Serve and enjoy.
I made these for my DH because he loves me to try new Swedish recipes. They came out golden brown and delicious. The cardamom really makes them taste so good! Stick to the baking time and they will come out great!