Recipe by lindsey.k.bell
Yes, this recipe was sent straight from heaven. They do take some time, but it is well worth it! I usually make one pan with walnuts and one without. This recipe makes a glaze instead of frosting. I didn't think I would like a cinnamon roll without the cream cheese frosting...but this is ten times better!
Top Review by carolinalkb
I have never had better cinnamon rolls! They were even better than Cinnabon! Thank you for posting. I will be craving these from now on. I made mine without nuts for the kids. Surely sent straight from heaven.
- 2 (1/4 ounce) packages dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water
- 2⁄3 cup sugar, plus
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup warmed milk
- 2⁄3 cup butter
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 7 -8 cups flour
- 1⁄2 cup melted butter
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 3 tablespoons cinnamon
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped walnuts (optional)
- 2⁄3 cup melted butter
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 4 -8 tablespoons hot water
- 1⁄2 cup melted butter
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine yeast, water, and tsp of sugar. Set aside.
- Combine milk, eggs, sugar, and butter. Add yeast mixture.
- Add 1/2 of four until smooth and then add remaning flour one cup at a time. Dough will be sticky.Knead for 10 minutes.
- Place in buttered glass bowl and cover. Set in warm place and let rise until doubled.(about an hour- hour and a half).
- When doubled punch down an let rest for five minutes.
- Melt 1/2 cup butter and divide evently into two pans.
- Sprinkle 1/2 cup sugar over butter in the pans.
- Combine sugar and cinnamon.
- Shaping Rolls:.
- Roll dough into 15x20 in rectangle.
- Spread 1/2 cup of melted butter over dough and then sprinkle the cinnamon sugar mixure evenly over the butter. Optional: add nuts over cinnamon mixture.
- Roll the dough beginning with the long end of the rectangle. Pinch edges to seal.
- Use dental floss to cut the dough into one inch slices. You must use dental floss starting below the dough and criss cross above -- this is the key to pretty cinnamon rolls.
- Place rolls in prepared pans and let rise until doubled (45 min).
- When double, bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes.
- Mix melted butter, powdered sugar, and vanilla in a sauce pan over low heat.
- When smooth, add one tbs of water at a time until you reach your desired consistancy.
- Pour glaze over rolls while hot.