1/1 Photo of Cinnamon Rolls (Bh&g)
3 hrs 25 mins
These should be called "Lay's Rolls" because no one can eat just one! Comfort food at its finest. Adapted from the Better Homes and Gardens Old Fashioned Home Baking Cook Book -- prep time includes rise time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
FOR THE SWEET DOUGH
- 4 -4 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package active dry yeast
- 1 cup milk
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
FOR THE CINNAMON ROLLS
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3/4 cup raisins (optional)
- 2 cups chopped apples (optional)
- 1 pinch nutmeg, toss with the
- 1/2 lemon, juice of (and some of the sugar or cinnamon mix,place in a strainer over a bowl,reserve juices for icing) (optional)
- 6 tablespoons cocoa powder, mixed in with the sugar (optional)
- 1/2 cup miniature chocolate chip (optional)
- 1/2 cup cinnamon bark (optional)
FOR THE ICING
- 2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons cream (etc.) or 2 tablespoons juice (etc.) or 2 tablespoons half-and-half cream (etc.) or 2 tablespoons milk (etc.) or 2 tablespoons coffee (etc.) or 2 tablespoons your favorite liqueur (etc.)
- 1/4 cup chopped chocolate, melted (optional)
- 1FOR THE SWEET DOUGH.
- 2In a large mixing bowl combine 1 1/2 cups (180 gms) of the flour and the yeast.
- 3Set aside.
- 4In a sauce pan heat the milk, sugar, butter and salt until it's just warm (125 degrees f).
- 5Add to the flour mixture and beat for a moment, slowly add eggs.
- 6Beat at medium/low speed for 30 seconds.
- 7Scrape down the bowl then beat at high speed for 3 minutes.
- 8Add as much of the remaining flour as possible and stir until just combined.
- 9(save some for the board if kneading by hand) If using a stand mixer change to dough hook and knead until smooth and elastic, 3-5 minutes.
- 10Can be done by hand, be cautious not to knead in too much flour or rolls will be tough.
- 11Form dough into a ball and place in a greased bowl covered with plastic wrap.
- 12Let rise in a warm, draft free place until doubled in size (60-90 minutes).
- 13Punch down the dough, turn out on to a lightly floured surface, divide in half.
- 14Allow to rest 10 minutes covered.
- 15FOR THE ROLLS.
- 16While the dough is resting, Grease and flour 2 9 x 1 1/2" round cake pans.
- 17Mix sugar, cinnamon and optional nutmeg or cocoa in a small bowl or plastic bag.
- 18On a floured surface, roll one ball out to a 12"x12" rectangle, brush 1/2 of the butter on the dough (leaving 1/2" along the edge unbuttered).
- 19Sprinkle 1/2 of sugar mixture and be sure it's spread evenly.
- 20Sprinkle on Optional apples, raisins or chips.
- 21Roll dough into a tight roll, seal unbuttered edge with a bit of water.
- 22Set aside.
- 23Repeat with other dough ball.
- 24Preheat oven to 375°F.
- 25Cut each log into 12 pieces and arrange in pans.
- 26Cover rolls and allow to rise until nearly doubled, 30-60 minutes.
- 27Bake for 20-25 minutes.
- 28Rolls will be lightly browned.
- 29Test for doneness with a toothpick.
- 30Remove from oven, allow to cool on a rack in the pans for 10 minutes.
- 31Remove from pan and place on rack until just warm.
- 32About another 10 minutes.
- 33FOR THE ICING.
- 34While rolls are cooling, sift powdered sugar into a medium bowl.
- 35Add vanilla extract and 2 tablespoons of liquid.
- 36Beat until smooth, add more liquid 1 teaspoon at a time until smooth and drizzling consistency.
- 37Mix in optional melted chocolate.
- 38Place cooled rolls on serving dish, Drizzle or pipe icing, Serve warm.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cinnamon Rolls (Bh&g)
Serving Size: 1 (174 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 448.3
- Calories from Fat 123
- Total Fat 13.7 g
- Saturated Fat 8.1 g
- Cholesterol 69.6 mg
- Sodium 122.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 75.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.6 g
- Sugars 42.0 g
- Protein 6.4 g