Prep 2 hrs
Cook 25 mins
I got this recipe from my sister, who I believe got it from Food Network. It is a very simple cinnamon roll recipe, and even someone who doesn't know how to bake (like me) can do it!
- 1⁄4 ounce yeast
- 1⁄2 cup warm water
- 1⁄2 cup scalded milk
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup butter or 1⁄3 cup shortening
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 3 1⁄2-4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup melted butter, plus more for pan
- 3⁄4 cup sugar, plus more for pan
- 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 3⁄4 cup raisins or 3⁄4 cup walnuts (optional) or 3⁄4 cup pecans (optional)
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a small bowl, mix yeast in the warm water and set aside.
- In a large bowl mix milk, sugar, melted butter, salt and egg. Add 2 cups of flour and mix until smooth.
- Then add yeast mixture. Mix in remaining flour until dough is easy to handle.
- Knead dough on lightly floured surface for 5 to 10 minutes. Place in well-greased bowl, cover and let rise until doubled in size, usually 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
- When doubled in size, punch down the dough. Roll out on a floured surface into a 15 by 9-inch rectangle.
- Spread melted butter all over dough. Mix sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle over buttered dough. Sprinkle with walnuts, pecans, or raisins if you want. Beginning at the 15-inch side, role up dough and pinch edge together to seal. Cut into 12 to 15 slices.
- Coat the bottom of baking pan with butter and sprinkle with sugar. Place cinnamon roll slices close together in the pan and let rise until dough is doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Bake for about 30 minutes or until nicely browned.
- When the rolls are slightly cooled, add any glaze that you like, and enjoy!
I loved this recipe and was amazed how pretty and smooth the dough was. You could easily use this dough recipe for many other desserts!! and I think I will lol :) I used some honey mixed with sugar, butter and orange juice as a glaze because I was out of powderd sugar and raisins in the middle. Me and the DH both enjoyed. Made for Ramadan Tag 2008
Made & reviewed for Ramadan Tag in the NA*ME Forum. I love cinnamon rolls & these rolls are AMAZING! They are easy to make, soft & delicious. I doubled the quantity, using raisins in one batch & nuts in the other - I also only glazed the nutty cinnamon rolls. Everyone loved these & they are begging for me to make more!!! Thanks for a fabulous recipe!