Prep 1 hr
Cook 12 mins
Traditional Finnish baking.
- 1⁄2 liter milk
- 1 egg
- 50 g yeast
- 200 ml sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon cardamom
- 1300 -1500 ml all-purpose flour
- 170 g melted butter
- 75 ml melted butter
- 100 ml sugar
- Dissolve yeast into lukewarm milk in a mixing bowl. Add sugar, salt, cardamom and egg and mix ingredients together. Add half of the flour and stir into a soft dough. Mix soft margarine or butter into the dough and add as much from the rest of the flour as is needed. The dough is ready when it no longer sticks to the bowl or to your fingers. Let the dough rise for 30 minutes.
- Roll the dough with a rolling pin to a thin foil. Spread the melted butter over the foil, then put the cinnamon and sugar on it. Then, roll the foil tightly starting from the longer side.
- After that cut the bar into even, triangular pieces and then turn the pieces upwards and press down the centers of the buns with your finger, so that the cut edges bulge out on both sides. (This time I didn't do that. I just cut it into even pieces, then I lay them down and put them into paper moulds. That's very easy way to make them.).
- Place the rolls into a baking tray (if you didn't use those paper moulds, use greaseproof paper to cover the trays). Let them be in a warm place for 30 minutes so that they'll rise.
- Bake at 225 Celsius degrees in the middle of the oven for 10 minutes or a little bit more. They should be golden brown after you have baked them.