Recipe by vlynn
Couldn't be easier. Prep time includes rising time.
Top Review by bayou-mimi
These were really good and easy. I used a white cake mix. I did make a few adjustments however..for one thing, after the dough had risen, it was too soft to roll out so I worked in probably 1/2 to 3/4 C more flour.. To the softened butter I added about 1/2 tsp of Maple flavoring, spread that over the dough then a healthy sprinkle of brown sugar, then the cinnamon/sugar mix... I placed them on a greased baking sheet just touching.. after they were finished baking, I made a caramel glaze by melting some butter and stirring in brown sugar till it dissolved, a little cream, then throwing in some chopped nuts, I will certainly be making these again, for sure throughout the Thanksgiving Holi-daze. Thanks for a great idea Edited to say that I made/baked these the night before I needd them, I covered them with foil and in the morning just reheated them in a low oven,,they did not dry out and were as good as they were fresh out of the oven... EDITED AGAIN !.... I made these a second time using a small "Jiffy" yellow cake mix, just 1/2'd everything else, (1 pkg yeast, 2 1/2 C flour, 1 1/4 C water), it made one cookie sheet full and was devoured at the Ladies Bible Study that morning. I also added some orange juice, rind and extract to some cream cheese icing for some of the tops. I'm thinking next time I might add some zest and extract to the dough for a treat... I love this easy, versitile recipe, can you tell???
- 1 (18 ounce) box yellow cake mix or 1 (18 ounce) box white cake mix
- 2 (1/4 ounce) packages yeast
- 5 cups flour
- 2 1⁄2 cups warm water
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix cake mix and flour.
- Dissolve yeast in warm water and add to dry ingredients.
- Knead dough and put into large bowl; cover to rise (about 2 hours).
- Divide dough in half and roll out on a floured surface.
- Spread butter on top of rolled dough and sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar.
- Roll up dough and cut into 1" slices.
- Place in baking pan.
- Roll out remaining dough and prepare in same way.
- Let rise 30-45 minutes.
- Bake at 350 for 20 minutes.