Prep 5 hrs
Cook 8 mins
Go ahead, eat 'em for breakfast.
- 4 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Filling: Stir together the sugar and cinnamon; set aside.
- Cookies: Cream the butter and brown sugar until well blended with an electric mixer on medium speed.
- Add the eggs and vanilla; blend well.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon; add to butter mixture and blend well.
- Turn dough out onto a sheet of waxed paper; spread into a 9x6-inch rectangle using a rubber spatula.
- Sprinkle the cinnamon-sugar to within 1 inch from the edges.
- Roll dough up jelly-roll style.
- Roll in remaining cinnamon-sugar; wrap dough tightly in plastic wrap.
- Refrigerate at least 4 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Slice dough 1/4-inch thick; place 2 inches apart onto parchment-lined cookie sheets.
- Bake for 8 minutes or until golden on top.
- Cool for 4 minutes on the cookie sheets, then remove to racks and cool completely.
These cookies did not turn out as well as I was hoping. The dough, even after chilled, was hard to work with. Slicing the dough usually made it fall apart. All of the cinnamon sugar just fell out completely. I baked them for 12 minutes and they were still very doughy. And they had no flavor whatsoever! I was disappointed.
Wow, I was so disappointed in this recipe! First of all the dough didn't hold together, even after 4 + hours in the fridge. I followed another reviewers tip for adding more filling - another mistake, all it did was add to the crumble disaster. There was no way this recipe would make 5 dozen cookies, it barely made 2 dozen crumble piles on the cookie sheet. It tasted fine ... but we won't make this recipe ever again.
Very good, I did have a problem rolling them but it is just something that I have very little experience with so wasn't used to the stickiness. A little more time consuming for the soccer mom (me) but for the "Martha" mom, it is a great tasting presentation piece.