Prep 24 hrs
Cook 15 mins
One of my all-time favourite breakfast pastries, turned into a cookie! Somewhat bastardized from the LCBO magazine, using cream cheese in the dough (instead of in a frosting) and a tangy buttermilk drizzle for appearances.
- 236.59 ml flour
- 118.29 ml barley flour
- 118.29 ml oat flour
- 3 (3 g) packet stevia
- 1.23 ml salt
- 1.23 ml nutmeg
- 113.39 g cream cheese
- 56.69 g shortening
- 118.29 ml light brown sugar
- 29.58 ml buttermilk
- 4.92 ml vanilla extract
- 7.39 ml cinnamon
- 177.44 ml dark brown sugar, packed
- 29.58 ml butter
- 29.58 ml pure maple syrup
- 14.79 ml cornstarch
- 59.14 ml icing sugar
- 9.85 ml buttermilk
- 4.92 ml lemon juice
- Whisk together flours, stevia, salt and nutmeg. Set aside.
- Cream cream cheese, shortening, sugar, buttermilk and vanilla until fluffy.
- Beat in dry ingredients.
- Divide in half, wrap in plastic and chill 1 hour before rolling out.
- Mix all ingredients until thoroughly combined.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out one piece of dough into a large rectangle (about 1/8 - 1/4" thick). Spread half of the filling evenly over rectangle.
- Roll up from the long side. Repeat with second piece of dough.
- Wrap each and freeze for at least 4 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350°F Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Rolls into 1/4" thick slices and place 1" apart on sheets.
- Bake, one sheet at a time, for 15 minutes. Cookies will be just starting to turn golden.
- Cool completely on the sheet before removing.
- Whisk together all ingredients until smooth and creamy.
- Drizzle over baked cookies and allow to set.