Prep 5 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This is so simple to make and it will make your house smell wonderful! It reminds me of when I was little. It takes a while to make but there is no work involved, it's just time in the oven that you can spend doing something else. Alternatively, you can also use a vanilla pod instead of the cinnamon stick, just slice it open and throw it in instead of the cinnamon stick.
- 1 1⁄2 ounces pudding rice
- 1 ounce caster sugar
- 2 3⁄4 cups 1% low-fat milk
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1 cinnamon stick
- Preheat oven to 150°C/300°F/Gas 2.
- Place the rice, sugar and milk in a suitable oven-proof dish.
- Top with knobs of butter and add the cinnamon stick.
- Place uncovered into the oven , stir once after 30 minutes and leave for a further 1 1/2 hours.
- If you want, you can sprinkle it with 2tbsp sugar mixed with one tsp cinnamon for extra sweetness.
- Can be eaten hot or cold.
Wow - The best Rice Pudding! I didn't have a cinnamon stick so I did the recipe exactly but with a vanilla pod as you suggested. Excellent - Thank you! I will make this every time.
I love rice pudding, and I love this rice pudding! No pudding rice in the house, but some short grain did the trick. I also love the flavor that the cinnamon stick gave, much more subtle and divine than sprinking the whole job with the powdered stuff as I usually tend to do. This goes to the top of my list of comfort food, thanks so much for posting!