Prep 25 mins
Cook 27 mins
Recipe is originally from my blog, http://www.peanutbutterboy.com , and its so good I thought I'd post here to share. I hope you enjoy it!
- 2 cups wheat bran
- 1 cup oat bran
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2⁄3 cup currants or 2⁄3 cup raisins
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 ripe peaches (gives when pressed lightly, not spongy)
- 1⁄4 cup peach applesauce (or regular unsweetened)
- 4 egg whites or 1⁄2 cup egg substitute
- 2⁄3 cup skim milk
- 2⁄3 cup light peach yogurt (or vanilla)
- 6 tablespoons creamy natural-style peanut butter
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 1⁄4 cup molasses (all honey or all molasses works too)
- Heat oven to 375. Spray 2 standard size muffin pans or use paper liners (best choice). If you don't have two muffin pans, you'll have to make two batches or cut the recipe in half. Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl and mix well to coat the currants.
- Cut peaches in half and remove pit. Place in a blender with the applesauce. Pulse until pureed. Combine peach puree and remaining wet ingredients into a medium-sized bowl and mix. Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and gently mix just until combined.
- Spoon batter into muffin cups and mound as high as you can without spilling over the paper liner. Bake for 26-28 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean (but moist). Makes 14-16 large muffins.