Recipe by Sandylee
Nestled between slices of cinnamon-raisin bread is an irresistible layer of sweet caramelized apple slices.
- 2 tablespoons margarine or 2 tablespoons butter
- 5 golden delicious apples, peeled, cored, and sliced
- 1⁄4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons apple brandy (applejack) or 3 tablespoons apple juice
- 1 loaf sliced cinnamon-raisin bread
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 10 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon margarine or 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare Apple Filling: In 12- inch skillet, melt margarine over medium heat. Add apples and sugar, and cook 20 minutes or until apples are deep golden, stirring occasionally. Stir in apple brandy; cook 1 minute longer.
- Prepare French toast: Grease 3 1/2 to 4- quart shallow ceramic casserole or 13" by 9” glass baking dish. Arrange half of bread slices, overlapping slightly, in casserole.
- In medium bowl, with wire whisk or fork, beat milk salt, cinnamon, and eggs until well mixed. Pour half of egg mixture over bread in casserole. Reserve one-fourth of apple filling; cover and refrigerate to spoon on casserole after baking. Spread remaining Apple Filling over bread in an even layer. Arrange remaining bread slices over apple layer. Pour remaining egg mixture over bread, pressing bread down with spatula so it absorbs maximum amount of egg mixture. Dot bread with margarine; sprinkle with sugar. Cover casserole and refrigerate overnight.
- To bake, preheat over to 325 degrees. Uncover casserole and bake 50 to 55 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean. Reheat reserved Apple Filling in microwave oven until heated through. Spoon on top of French toast to serve.