1 hr 30 mins
From The Vista Verde Ranch, Steamboat Springs, CO Courtesy of The Great Ranch Cookbook, by Gwen Ashley Walters I make this bread last night (1/13/03). It is great! My husband bought this cookbook for me on our honeymoon at Elk Mountain Ranch (also featured in the book) & this is one of the first recipes I have tried. I only have a couple of thoughts to add. One, just so that no one else makes the same mistake I did. You need to make the oatmeal per the directions on the package & add the butter to that & add it to the yeast hot. I for whatever reason thought they meant just the rolled oats. So I heated the oats & the butter in the micro & dumped it in & ended up with a really dry lump after only adding the first 3 cups of flour. So I realized my mistake & started over. The second thought is you don't have to add the glaze. I didn't & it turned out wonderful. I hope you enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup water (110ºF)
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 tablespoon yeast
- 5 cups all-purpose flour, more or less
- 1 1/2 cups oatmeal, hot
- 4 teaspoons butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup raisins
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1In a mixing bowl, stir together warm water,Maple syrup& yeast.
- 2Set aside for 5 to 10 minutes.
- 3Meanwhile, make the oatmeal& add butter.
- 4Stir to melt butter.
- 5When the yeast mixture is bubbly, add 3 cups flour, oatmeal, salt& raisins to the yeast mixture.
- 6Mix on low speed until incorporated.
- 7Keep adding flour ½ cup at a time until the dough comes together& is only slightly tacky to the touch.
- 8The dough will be very soft and somewhat sticky.
- 9Place dough in a greased bowl, cover with plastic wrap& place in a warm place to rise until double in size (about 40 to 60 minutes).
- 10Spray a 9x5 loaf pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- 11Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface& knead the cinnamon in by sprinkling a little in top, kneading& turning dough& repeating the process until all the cinnamon is used.
- 12Place the dough in the prepared loaf pan& place in a warm place to rise.
- 13When the dough has risen about 2 above the pan, put into a preheated 350ºF oven& bake for about 30 minutes.
- 14The crust will be golden brown.
- 15Remove from pan& place on a cooling rack.
- 16Once the bread has cooled, mix the powdered sugar with 3 T of maple syrup.
- 17Add 1 or 2 T of water to thin to a pouring consistency.
- 18Pour glaze all over the top of the bread, letting it run down the sides.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cinnamon Raisin Bread with Maple Glaze
Serving Size: 1 (1376 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 4029.5
- Calories from Fat 272
- Total Fat 30.2 g
- Saturated Fat 12.1 g
- Cholesterol 40.3 mg
- Sodium 2484.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 854.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 36.1 g
- Sugars 262.1 g
- Protein 89.6 g