Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
This is such a wonderful, satisfying and healthy dessert! As it cooks, some of the bread is soaked with pudding, while other pieces become crunchy and browned. Everyone will love it! Adapted from "1,000 Lowfat Recipes" by Terry Blonder Golson.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In large bowl, beat together milk, vanilla, sugars, and eggs.
- Tear bread into 1 inch pieces and stir into liquid mixture.
- Stir in the apples.
- Pour the batter into an 8x8 baking dish.
- To make a water bath (this is an easy way to ensure even cooking), take a slightly larger pan and pour hot water into it. Place the 8x8 pan into the water bath (water should rise halfway up the pan).
- Bake 45 to 55 minutes until pudding sets (mine was the consistency of thick eggnog), and the top is light brown and a bit crunchy.
I really liked this - thank you! I added a little box of raisins and liked the texture they added. The top was a little too toasted so I may decrease the amount of bread I use next time. (I was using cinnamon raisin bread I had made in my bread machine.) It would be good with some kind of brown sugar sauce or whipped cream. YUM!
Really good and easy. I used regular bread and added raisins and cinnamon
Yummmm... this is really easy to make! I'm not vegan, so I used regular eggs and regular cinnamon bread.