1/1 Photo of Cinnamon - Raisin Bread for Dad
3 hrs 45 mins
Dad's a diabetic but loves his cinnamon raisin bread, and because he works such strange hours he's often eating snacks rather than meals. I crafted this version of the classic toasting bread to be higher in fibre and protein for staying power and a bit of impact on the carb count, as well as reducing the sugar with stevia.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup flour
- 2 cups whole wheat bread flour
- 1/3 cup chickpea flour
- 1/4 cup oat bran
- 1/4 cup psyllium husks
- 2 tablespoons stevia, baking blend (stevia blend for baking, or sugar)
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons instant yeast
- 1/4 cup whey protein, isolate
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup raisins, soaked in hot water for 10 minutes and drained
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 (1 g) packet caramel flavoured stevia (or 1 tbsp brown sugar)
- 1/2 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon tapioca starch
- 1 egg, beaten with
- 1 egg white
- 1In the bowl of a stand mixer, whisk together flours, bran, psyllium, Krisda blend, nutmeg, and yeast.
- 2Mix together the whey isolate, water, vanilla and maple syrup and add to the bowl, then turn mixer to medium low speed and mix with the dough hook for 8 minutes.
- 3Add oil and salt, and continue to mix 7 minutes longer. (Alternatively you can do this by hand, but you will need a longer mix time).
- 4Cover bowl and let rest 15 minutes.
- 5Turn the dough out onto a greased countertop and by hand, knead the raisins into the dough to evenly disperse them without breaking them up.
- 6Place back into the bowl, cover and allow to rest 1 1/2 hours.
- 7Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine brown sugar, stevia packet, cinnamon, and tapioca starch. Set aside.
- 8When dough has rested, punch down and roll out into a rectangle with the "short" ends the length of the loaf pan.
- 9Brush the surface of the dough with the egg + egg white, reserving some for egg wash topping.
- 10Evenly sprinkle the cinnamon mixture over the dough, leaving a 1" space on one short end.
- 11Roll up dough, pinching the un-spiced end to seal.
- 12Place in a greased loaf pan.
- 13Cover and allow to rise 1 hour, until almost doubled.
- 14Preheat the oven to 350°F, brush the top of the loaf with remaining egg mixture and bake for 45 minutes, tenting the loaf lightly with aluminum foil for the final 20 minutes.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cinnamon - Raisin Bread for Dad
Serving Size: 1 (66 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 14
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 141.7
- Calories from Fat 19
- Total Fat 2.2 g
- Saturated Fat 0.3 g
- Cholesterol 13.2 mg
- Sodium 178.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 26.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.0 g
- Sugars 4.3 g
- Protein 5.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: