Prep 30 mins
Cook 40 mins
Yummy yeast bread that can be made with or without a bread machine.....great for morning breakfasts!
- 1 1⁄2 cups warm water
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups bread flour
- 3 tablespoons white sugar
- 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1 cup raisins
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- Place water, milk, shortening, salt, flour, sugar and yeast in the pan of the bread machine in the order recommended by the manufacturer.
- Select cycle; press Start.
- If your machine has a Fruit setting, add the raisins at the signal, or about 5 minutes before the kneading cycle has finished.
- Take dough out after first kneading cycle has finished.
- (If you don't have a bread machine just knead by hand for a good 10 min, or until throughoully combined).
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and roll out into a rectangle.
- Spread dough with butter, brown sugar, and cinnamon.
- Roll dough, and divide into two parts.
- Place loaves in two lightly greased 9x5 inch bread pans.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Brush tops of risen loaves with melted butter and bake in preheated oven for 30 to 40 minutes, until crust is brown and loaves sound hollow when tapped.
I used my Kitchen Aid to mix this. DE-LISH-US!!! I took notes from others and plumped up my raisins in water first and also added 1t. cinnamon to dough while mixing. One loaf went to a friend, the other was made into French toast. I will need to get cracking on another batch - DH didn't get a taste of this one...OOPS! :)
I made this without a breadmaker. Added about 1tsp cinnamon to the flour, used the sugar and water to proof the yeast, and heated the milk, shortening, and salt together before mixing. Dough was a bit tough to knead at first, but softened after the first rising, and the final product is well worth it - this recipe's a keeper!
I can't believe I haven't reviewed this yet. I've made this recipe dozens of times and give most of the loaves away. I get rave reviews all the time. Very easy to make and the bonus is that you get 2 loaves! Thank you for making me look good :)