Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs 30 mins
- Dissolve yeast in 1/2 cup warm water.
- Stir in 1 3/4 cups warm water, 3 tablespoons sugar, the salt, shortening and 3 1/2 cups of the flour.
- Beat until smooth.
- Mix in raisins and enough remaining flour to make dough easy to handle. Turn dough onto lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes.
- Place in greased bowl, turn greased side up.
- Cover; let rise in warm place until double, about 1 hour.
- (Dough is ready if an indentation remains when touched.) Punch down dough; divide into halves.
- Roll each half into rectangle, 18 x 9-inches.
- Mix 1/4 cup sugar and cinnamon.
- Sprinkle each half with 1 tablespoon water and half the sugar mixture. Roll up and place in pans.
- Brush with butter; let rise 1 hour.
- Bake at 425 degrees f or 25 to 30 minutes.
I didnt have any raisins so I subbed chopped prunes. It came out tasty, but I was hoping for a more soft, gooey bread.
This bread gets 5 stars for flavor and texture. I did have issues with the bread not rising properly, but I think it might have something to do with the cold weather. Also baked these at 350F for 35 minutes.
This is fabulous!!!! I also baked at 350 deg. for 35 minutes and it came out perfect.