Recipe by Mercy
Soft, plump raisins layered in a crispy crunchy crust and drizzled with sweet cinnamon icing. My Mom made these yummy bars often over the years. They are absolutely delicious and deceptively easy! Craisins and/or golden raisins make great additions to the standard raisin filling.
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups rolled oats
- 2 tablespoons water (divided)
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups raisins
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon milk (1 to 2)
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine the raisin filling ingredients in a saucepan and heat over medium heat until the raisins are plump and the liquid has almost completely evaporated (about 10 minutes).
- While the raisin filling is heating, cream the butter and brown sugar together, mix in the dry ingredients and 1 tablespoon of water (it will be very crumbly).
- Press half of the mixture (about 2 cups) firmly into the bottom of a greased 9"x13" pan and spread with the raisin filling.
- Mix 1 tablespoon of water with the remaining crumbs and scatter over the raisin filling.
- Bake at 350°F for 35 minutes and then cool slightly.
- Mix together the cinnamon icing, adding enough milk to make a drizzling consistency, drizzle over the top and cut into squares.